Dawn Allenby (Woodwind)
I absolutely love playing woodwind instruments, especially instruments that have reeds! I was successfully persuaded to change from clarinet to learning the bassoon when I was in Y7 and I haven’t looked back! Growing up in Leicestershire, I was fortunate enough to play with the Leicestershire Schools Symphony Orchestra and continued with a music degree and performance postgrad diploma (gaining a first) at Bangor University. A career in teaching and playing professionally followed (The Crucible, The Lyceum, Sheffield City Hall and Buxton Opera House to name a few venues) and I am proud to say that I have taught for the Hub for over 25 years (recorder, flute, clarinet, saxophone, and bassoon) teaching hundreds of Sheffield children over the years in every setting - from one to one, small group, and whole class lessons. I am also proud to say that I am the founder of the Double Reed groups at the hub
- Favourite song/piece of music – anything by Zero 7 and classical, Debussy’s ‘The Girl with the Flaxen Hair’.
- Favourite thing to do outside of work – with the Peak District on my doorstep, walking.
- Favourite food - cheese, preferably a strong one.
- Favourite place in Sheffield – my garden.
- One thing about me that would surprise you to know – I can ride a motorbike.
Director of: Senior Double Reeds
Hints and Tips
All of our 'Hints and Tips' for woodwind instruments can be found in our 'Woodwind - Instrument tips' section of our YouTube channel, where you can also find all of our Music Leaders 'Hints and Tips'.