Andy Harris (Brass)
Hello I'm Andy! I started my musical journey in the Leicestershire bands and Orchestras, studying with Don Blakeson and Alan Holford, as well as playing in Youth Brass 2000. It was during my time in Youth Brass 2000 that I found a real love for brass bands and contesting. After completing my A levels, I gained a place at the Birmingham Conservatoire where i studied under Andy Culshaw. I continued playing in brass band throughout this time, playing with Foresters, William Davis, and Staffordshire bands, to name a few.
During a chance encounter after I left music college, I found himself in a UB40 tribute band where I then spent the next 15 years touring Europe, playing upwards of 100 shows a year.
Life in a tour band was definitely fun but family took priority, and in 2017 I left to pursue other areas of music. This when I was lucky enough to join Sheffield Music Hub as a full time music leader, teaching whole class brass lesson, and making it my mission to start a Sheffield Music Hub brass band, which I am now taking to the nation youth brass band championship.
During Covid, I decided the time was right to get back into playing more and successfully gained a place at Sheffield University to study a Masters degree in music performance. I graduated in 2024 passing my master with a distinction.
I am enjoying my playing more than ever, and am continuing to enjoy passing on my knowledge, passion and enthusiasm to the next generation of brass players.
Some more things about me!
- One of my favourite songs is “The Night” by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons
- Outside of work I enjoy playing soprano cornet in a brass band, running and spending time with my family.
- If I have to be pushed to name one favourite food it would have to be a full English breakfast!
- My favourite place in Sheffield is my mother-in-laws house.
- One thing that would surprise you: I’ve had a number one hit in Lithuania!
Hints and Tips