Sheffield Music Hub - Senior Orchestra Auditions
Audition to Join Senior Orchestra
Applications are welcome throughout the year,
Musicians playing the following instruments are invited to audition, although some spaces are limited:
Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass, Flute, Oboe, Clarinet, Bassoon, French Horn, Trumpet, Trombone, Tuba, Percussion
The orchestra rehearses weekly during term time: Thursdays, 6:15pm - 8:45pm.
The rehearsals are divided in two, starting with specialist instrumental groups to support unique skill development on your instrument, before moving on to Full Orchestra rehearsals.
What to prepare for your audition:
- Please submit a video recording of a piece you can play really well. The performance should last no more than 3 minutes (two excerpts in different styles is also ok) and be without accompaniment (no piano, backing track, etc).
- We will ask you to play small sections of your piece for us again during the live Zoom/Face to face element – this is so we can explore different performance ideas together and will give you a chance to see how we rehearse.
- We will also ask you why you want to play in the group and any relevant experience you have (perhaps playing in a school group or one of our intermediate groups) – you may want to think about your answer in advance!
Top Tips for preparing for an audition:
- Talk to your teacher! This is really important - they will want to know and will help you choose the best piece to perform. The most common reason for an unsuccessful audition is when the musician has not told their teacher
- Play something that shows how well you can play (it’s best to choose a slightly easier piece that you play well rather than a harder piece that you struggle to play well). We don’t make our decision on how difficult the piece is, we make the decision on how well you play your instrument and perform as a musician.
- Perform your audition piece to as many people as you can in advance, this will build your confidence!
- Don’t fall into the trap of recording your piece too many times – perfection doesn’t exist! Please simply do your best and remember we do not expect a perfect video performance, much in the same way we wouldn’t expect a perfect live performance.
- If you would like to audition but are worried you’re not good enough, please don’t worry – have a go anyway! We are a friendly bunch and will try to guide you through the process as we go. If we are unable to offer you a place we will always recommend an alternative group for you to join, so this could be the start of a new, exciting chapter for you no matter the outcome.