Senior Music Group Auditions
Sign up now to audition for one of our amazing senior music groups!
Auditions this year for our senior groups will be held on Thursday the 19 July at Stadia Technology Park (Music Hub office).
Did you know that our senior groups have been involved in some amazing concerts this year? Our City of Sheffield Youth Festival Band, Senior Flutes, Senior Clarinets and Senior Bassoons will be jetting off to Germany on tour this summer and Senior Orchestra are busy preparing for a session orchestra gig with live rock band in October – it’s going to be epic!
Auditions will be for the following groups (click on the name to find out the entry requirements and rehearsal details for each group).
There are vacancies in ALL instruments, although some spaces are limited.
Sheffield Young Sinfonia (woodwind and brass players only – string players do not need to audition)
To sign up for an audition click on the appropriate link below:
What to prepare for your audition
Please bring one piece of music that you can play really well, we will ask you to play for around 3 mins (the total audition is 6 mins) – please note that there will be no piano available for an accompaniment and no other accompaniment is permitted (e.g mp3, cd).
We will also ask you why you want to play in the group and any relevant experience you have (perhaps playing in a school group or one of our intermediate groups) – you may want to think about your answer in advance!
Top Tips for preparing for an audition:
- Talk to your teacher – this is really important, they will want to know and they will help you choose the best piece to perform. The most common reason for an unsuccessful audition is when the musician has not told their teacher!
- Play something that shows how well you can play (it’s best to bring a slightly easier piece that you play perfectly rather than a harder piece that you struggle to play well). We don’t make our decision on how difficult the piece is, we make the decision on how well you play your instrument and perform as a musician.
- Perform your audition piece to as many people as you can in advance, this will build your confidence!
- If you are not sure which group you would like to play in, or you would like to audition for more than one group you don’t need to sign up for two audition slots, we can cover all groups in one audition.
- If you would like to audition but are worried you’re not good enough please don’t worry – have a go anyway! We are a friendly bunch and will try to guide you through the process as we go and help select the best group for you to develop your musical skills.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact Ian Naylor, Head of Music Education Sheffield.